Back to the front

While I wait for all the body parts  to show up, I decided to take care of rest of the work needed on the front end.  I was originally going to save the front end to last, as it gave me time to figure out what motor and other bits I wanted.  but since the Fenders and one of the Doors is on backorder  I wanted to keep moving on something. My plan is to work a few hours every week on the car, to keep momentum.  i wish I could keep up with the blog posting, but I prioritise working the car to writing about working on the car.

The first thing I started on was removing the inner fender / Battery tray from the passenger side.

The pictures are a bit misleading, as the inner fender was a replacement, but instead of being welded in, it was held in by pop rivets. , so after grinding the heads off about a dozen pop rivets, the panel was free. As you can see there was rust starting in the seams

_MG_9753

 I was originally going to remove it clean it up and re-install it; however when I got it off, it is very thin metal it about 21 – 22 Gauge.  the original factory panels are 20 Gauge.   I ordered a dynacorn replacement inner fender panel.  I’m impressed by the quality of the stamping, and as you can see by the picture on the right, this panel is actually 19 gauge metal, so slightly thicker than the factory panels.  Also the Dynacorn has all the correct holes stamped in.  The panel that was on the car did have the holes stamped  and they look like someone cut them out with a drill and hacksaw.

Before I install the new inner fender panel, I wanted to clean up the rusty frame rail below the battery tray.  40 years of battery acid leaking on the frame rail has taken it’s toll.  I’ll cover the frame rail in the next post as it’s a longer process.